Well, when you start your morning with a two hour appointment for your car, you really can’t expect anything else to go as planned.
I had scheduled a post about the decluttering/reexamining I’ve been doing of my hygiene routine, but I’ll save that for a different date. Instead, you get my answers to the 30 question Harry Potter tag! This can also serve as a teaser to a future Harry Potter post I have in the works (hint: I may have been threatening to write it for a year now, whoops). Obviously this post is much faster and more fun than my original idea, so really I’m just trying to brighten my own day in the midst of all the coding I have to get done. YAY HP.
1) Favourite book?
Prisoner of Azkaban, because you get to meet the marauders for the first time, and some of the stranger bits of magic really start coming out in this book. Before Azkaban Harry was just a kid getting into trouble at a wizarding school. After Azkaban, we as readers had our eyes opened to the rest of the wizarding world.
2) Least favourite book?
I’m only saying Chamber of Secrets because I have to say one, but just because it’s my least favourite, doesn’t mean I don’t like it.
3) Favourite movie?
Deathly Hallows Part 2. The best book to movie of the series, in my opinion. Also, I saw it while I was living in Oxford, so I have warm and fuzzy feelings about the whole experience.
4) Least favourite movie?
Prisoner of Azkaban. I know that this is probably the most cinematic and lauded movie, but it just felt like there was a lot of wasted time that they could have filled with plot and book-things, and they choose to be pretty instead.
5) Favourite quote?
The one I seem to reference the most is Fred and George’s fight over “ear-related humor” at the beginning of Deathly Hallows, though I wouldn’t call it my favourite. I do love when Dumbledore tells Harry:
Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?
6) Favourite Weasley?
Ginny. She’s a badass.
7) Favourite female character?
Luna, because she’s smart and unique and confident. I want to be her. Just a little.
8) Favourite villain.
Snape, because complexity.
9) Favourite male character?
I actually really like Draco, not because I think he’s worth two spits as a person, but because he (like Snape) has a lot of internal warfare that we don’t see in the books. We hear about it a bit, yes, like when Myrtle mentions him crying in the bathrooms, but we don’t see it. He was never taught how to be good, but he isn’t sure he wants to be bad. That’s the stuff of interesting characters.
10) Favourite professor?
Professor McGonagall. She’s a tough one but she’ll make sure you learn.
11) Would you rather A) wash Snape’s hair or B) spend a day listening to Lockhart rant about himself?
Listening to Lockhart, because it would be great fodder for a tell-all biography I’d author about him 😉
12) Would you rather duel A) an elated Bellatrix or B) an angry Molly?
Both of these choices are terrifying. I don’t want to duel either of them, I’d die. But at least maybe I could run away from Bellatrix? Because she’d be too excited to kill me immediately? This is a lose-lose question.
13) Would you rather travel to Hogwarts via A) Hogwarts Express or B) Flying Car?
Hogwarts Express, though maybe I’d try out the flying car just once.
14) Would you rather A) Kiss Voldemort or B) give Umbridge a bubble bath?
I feel like both of these things would end with a violent death for me. But at least kissing Voldemort wouldn’t last as long as Umbridge’s bubble bath…
15) Would you rather A) ride a Hippogriff or B) ride a Firebolt?
A hippogriff! I like friendly animals.
16) Is there a character you felt differently about in the movies?
Neville – mostly because of the actor getting quite hot, if I’m honest. Good work, Matthew Lewis.
17) Is there a movie you preferred to the book?
No, all the books > all the movies.
18) Richard Harris or Michael Gambon as Dumbledore?
Richard Harris. I can never forgive the whole “DIDJOPUTURNAMEINTHEGOBLET HARRRYYYYY” scene.
19) Your top thing (person or event) that wasn’t in the movie that you wanted there the most?
So I may not remember this correctly, but I think that Harry never uses the Elder Wand to restore his phoenix wand back to functioning in the movie. And this DRIVES ME MAD. It would have taken two seconds of screen time. Why leave it out??
20) If you could remake any of the Harry Potter movies which would it be?
Prisoner of Azkaban, but also Half-Blood Prince.
21 Which house was your first gut feeling you’d be a part of?
Ravenclaw. Blue and silver and riddles? My people.
22) Which house were you actually sorted into on Pottermore?
Ravenclaw 🙂 though I was actually a Hufflepuff/Ravenclaw hat stall!
23) Which class would be your favourite?
I can never answer this question well, because I don’t know how my current interests would transfer to the magical world. I guess I’d probably love Muggle Studies, since I’ve got a social justice lean. Probably also Charms. I think I’d be good at Charms.
24) Which spell do you think would be most useful to learn?
Lumos. Much nicer than wearing out the old phone flashlight.
25) Which character do you think you’d instantly become friends with?
Ron, because we’d make fun of each other ruthlessly.
26) If you could own one of the three Hallows, which would it be?
The invisibility cloak.
27) Is there any aspect of the books you’d want to change?
No, because changing one thing changes a lot of things. I like them the way they are, flaws and all.
28) Favourite Marauder?
Sirius Black! Love him forever.
29) If you could bring one character back to life, which would it be?
Can I have Remus and Tonks? They’re perfect. Teddy needs them.
30) Hallows or Horcruxes?